23 June 2020
The American Cancer Society estimates that as of January 2019 there were 16.9 million individuals in the United States living with a history of cancer, and 1.76 million newly diagnosed with cancer. Traditionally, patients return to their oncology team, primarily their medical oncologist, for follow up care after they complete active treatment. However, there are not enough medical oncologists to care for the anticipated increase in newly diagnosed patients as well as cancer survivors, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology and other organizations recommend shifting more of survivorship care to primary care physicians.
The aims of our study are to determine:
- Which member of the medical team is the primary point of contact for cancer survivorship care
- Which member of the medical team does the patient prefer to be the primary point of contact for cancer survivorship care
- Do patients perceive that their primary care providers are comfortable providing cancer survivorship care
- Would patients be accepting of cancer survivorship care solely from their primary care provider
- Are patient preferences influenced by age, age at diagnosis, type of cancer, treatments received, or severity (stage) of cancer
This survey is being conducted for research purposes. It is a UCLA research study, IRB# 20-001103.
Individuals who have been diagnosed with one or more cancers are eligible to participate.
This research survey should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. The anonymous data will be securely stored by the principal investigator and may be used for future research studies. There is no industry funding or sponsor for this study. Results will be shared once data analysis is complete. We appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your participation.
- Deanna J. Attai, MD
- Larissa Nekhlyudov, MD
- Matthew S. Katz, MD
- Beverly A Zavaleta, MD
For questions regarding this study, you may contact the principal investigator Dr. Deanna Attai
- By phone: (818) 333-2555
- By email [email protected]
- Or by mail: 191 S. Buena Vista #415, Burbank, CA 91505
UCLA Office of the Human Research Protection Program (OHRPP):
If you have questions about your rights as a research subject, or if you have concerns or suggestions and you want to talk to someone other than the researchers, you may contact the UCLA OHRPP
- By phone: (310) 206-2040
- By email: [email protected]
- Or by mail: Box 951406, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1406